University of Wisconsin-Extension will be holding the annual Crop Management Update workshop Feb. 21 at Jake’s Northwoods in Sparta and at the Hillsboro Firemen’s Community Hall.
Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. with the program starting at 10 a.m. and adjourning at approximately 3:30 pm.
All topics will be presented at both locations with the speakers switching between locations over the lunch hour.
Topics and presenters include:
• Farm Bill and Crop Insurance Update; Dr. Paul Mitchell, UW Extension Ag Economist will discuss the farm bill and changes to crop insurance and how that will influence area farmers.
• Extreme Nutrient Management; Dr. Carrie Laboski, UW Extension Soil Scientist, will present information on nutrient management and factors to be looking for after two very extreme growing seasons. She will also present information on a nitrogen rate project that began in 2013.
• Do’s and Don’ts of Soil Compaction Management; Last year’s weather resulted in field operations being conducted in less than ideal soil conditions. Dr. Francisco Arriaga, UW Extension Soil Scientist will discuss managing soil compaction and what works and what can actually make it worse.
• Weed Management on 2013 Prevented Plant Acres and Cover Crop Weed Management. Field that did not get planted last year may present additional weed problems this year. Dr. Vince Davis, UW Extension Weed Scientist, will address weed management on those fields and will also discuss cover crop weed management, and practices to help reduce the change of your cover crop becoming a troublesome weed.
• Get the Most from Your Crop Scouting; Crop Scouting is important to stay on top of what is going good and what needs some attention. Bryan Jensen, UW Extension IPM Program Specialist, will share tips and practices on how to optimize your time spent crop scouting.
Local Agents will also give an update on area projects including the Foliar Fungicide Trials on Alfalfa that were conducted in 2013.
For more information or to pre-register for these workshops contact the following Extension Offices. For the Sparta location contact the Monroe County Extension office at 608-269-8722, and for the Hillsboro location contact the Vernon County Extension Office at 608-637-5276. Please pre-register by Feb. 17 to help with meal and handout preparations.
Both locations will have lunch, and there is no cost to attend.
Area sponsors for these workshops include: Premier Insurance- Jenny Kilpatrick, Citizen’s First Bank, Crop Ag Insurance Services-Kim Hericks & Sandy Wagner, Timberwood Bank– Tomah, Vine Vest Crop & Ag Insurance, Portland Implement, Rural Mutual Insurance/ Farm Bureau- Lynn Luckasson Agency– Sparta, F & M Bank– Tomah, Union National Bank & Trust, F & M Bank– Kendall, Cargill– La Crosse, Rural Mutual Insurance/ Farm Bureau- Robin Rubisch– West Salem, Tractor Central– West Salem, Royal Bank– Hillsboro, Badgerland Financial, Rural Mutual Insurance/ Farm Bureau- Kevin Bluskie-Viroqua, Farmers State Bank– Hillsboro, Asbury Grain LLC, UW Extension Offices in, La Crosse, Monroe, Vernon, Richland, Sauk and Jackson counties.