Scams in which the Internal Revenue Service is invoked are starting to be reported to the Grant County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Unit.
A Sheriff’s Office news release notes that the IRS corresponds through the mail regarding audits and taxes owed. Anyone with questions on correspondence you’ve received can contact the IRS office in La Crosse, (608) 785-0246, or in Madison, (608) 829-5827.
Signs of an IRS scam include:
• A call to either demand immediate payment or a call about taxes owed without a bill first having been mailed.
• A demand to pay taxes without giving the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
• A requirement to use a specific payment method for taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
• Asking for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
• Threatening to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
Any suspicious activity should be reported to local law enforcement.