With the beginning of the school year on the verge of starting, the Platteville School Board was made aware of the district's financial situation, among other issues, during its regular meeting Monday evening. Art Beaulieu, director of business and auxiliary services, presented the board with the district's proposed budget and tax levy for the 2011-2012 school year.
Beaulieu explained that the district budget will show total revenues of $15,056,935 in 2011-2012 compared to $16,083,540 in 2010-2011, a 6.38 percent decrease.
In line with the revenue decrease is the decrease in expenses. Expenses in 2011-2012 are proposed at $15,056,935, compared to expenses of $16,083,540 in 2010-2011.
The total tax levy for 2011-2012 will be $8,099,8009, compared to $8,119,396 in 2010-2011, a .24 percent decrease.
The district mill rate will remain relatively the same, decreasing from $11.11 per $1,000 of equalized value in 2010-2011 to $11.12 per $1,000 in 2011-2012.
The board approved the 2011-2012 budget and tax levy for presentation at the annual meeting. The budget will formally be presented Aug. 22 at 7:30 p.m. at the high school auditorium, prior to the annual school district meeting.
Beaulieu informed the board that the last time the district actually received two-thirds funding from the state was in 1995. According to recent figures, 48.1 percent of the district's operating budget will come from the state in 2011-2012.
• In other business, the board:
• Approved the hiring of Lynne Tanner to assume the role of administrative assistant to the superintendent at an annual salary of $40,000. Tanner will be replacing Vicki Hirsch, who is retiring.
• Approved hiring John Erickson as a part-time school psychologist. He will be employed for 100 days, which are yet to be determined, Aug. 22, 2011, through June 30, 2012, at a salary of $39,613.
• Approved the agenda for the Aug. 22 annual school district meeting. Gabe Loeffelholz will serve as chairperson and Mike Dalecki will serve as parliamentarian.
• Approved a 1.75 percent total package increase ($9,329.68) to the 2011-2012 transportation contract with Stratton Buses.
• Approved a contract with Southwest Health Center for the services of a part-time athletic trainer at a cost of $33 per hour.
• Accepted a donation from Jo Roling in honor of her late husband for bleachers to be placed on a cement pad on the east side of the soccer field at the high school. The donation, which includes excavation costs is valued at more than $7,000.
• The first day of school is Thursday, Sept. 1, except for 4K students.