The North Crawford School Board approved a pair of bids relating to the Carol M. White Physical Education Program PEP grant project.
The first was a bid by Sand Prairie Construction for five concrete slabs for outdoor equipment. The second was for HSR Associates, an architectural and engineering firm, who will now explore options for building a Wellness Center.
Because building codes have changed significantly since construction of the school, creating a wellness/fitness center within the school would be prohibitive, according to North Crawford School District Administrator Dr. Dan Davies.
“Renovations inside the school would mean installing sprinklers, changing our HVAC system, updating security, electrical, fire and ventilation throughout the entire building,” Davies said. “The most reasonable thing to do is bring in architects who can evaluate our options and make recommendations that are cost effective.”
Elementary school principal Brandon Munson presented a five-year staffing plan to the board. The plan anticipated the replacement of two teachers, Abbey Price and Colleen Dull, to maintain 18 full-time kindergarten through eighth grade positions. Price left to teach in Lancaster and Dull retired.
The board also approved teaching and coaching recommendations and a request for temporary reduction of hours.
Junior High-High School Social Studies teacher John Armbruster will work at 88-percent of full-time at his request. Samantha Shelnutt and Nicole Peth were hired for the two open elementary teaching positions. Coaching positions were approved with Anna Davidson as the head volleyball coach and Emily Allen as the head cheerleading coach.
The board also approved the employee handbook for teachers and support staff.
Some discussion was held on graduation dates in response to feedback on the Sunday graduation.
“Hopefully, if anyone has a strong opinion about the change this year, they will contact the school or a board member,” Davies said.
In other action, the North Crawford School Board:
• approved football summer practice helmet use;
• tabled season ticket prices;
• approved contracts with Seneca for autism program services;
• approved contracts with Kickapoo for early childhood special education services;
• approved the contract with CESA 6 for website hosting;
• heard that Brandon Munson was elected to the board of the Association of Wisconsin School Administrators;
• and received ‘Thank You’ notes from Rosa Thill (graduate), Megan Gillespie (graduate), Pam Gardner (Gays Mills swimming pool donation), Ralph Brownlee (flowers), and Sue Hulsether (dance program presenter).