Zimmerman names Class of 2014’s valedictorian,
salutatorian, honor students
Hillsboro High School Principal Greg Zimmerman has announced the Class of 2014 Valedictorian and Salutatorian, along with the class Honor Students.
The Salutatorian is Zeffie Woods and the Valedictorian is Daniel Benish.
Honor Students are Matthew Anderson, Mercedes Anderson, Matt Bartels, Katie Blaha, Brody Fanshaw, Riley Fisher, Elsie Griffin, Grant Jefferies, Samantha Levy, Noah Mayberry, Macy Mislivecek, Harli Mitchell, Morgan Rynes, Max Sebranek, Kelsey Skala, and Brandon Stanek.
The Hillsboro School Board Feb. 10 discussed a yearly problem that has multiplied considerably this year due to the plunging temperatures and snow storms.
The current 180-day school calendar will have to be adjusted to allow for makeup time that was lost on days that school was canceled or delayed.
There are a number of plans possible, but until the Board sees what else the weatherman has in store for this school year, the official calendar is actually somewhat unofficial at this point and could still be changed.
The calendar, however, was unanimously revised by the Board with the understanding that further changes could be necessary.
In his monthly report, School Superintendent Curt Bisarek informed the Board there are currently bills being promoted in both the State Senate and Assembly that would repeal the 180-day calendar requirement for 2014-2015.
There is a continuing political discussion on the value of a state law that delays the start of school until after Sept. 1.
The Board also unanimously agreed to an early graduation for a student.
Elementary School Principal Cara Wood announced:
• An Open House will be held Feb. 17, from 4-7:30 p.m.
• Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held Feb. 19, from 4-6:30 p.m.
• A Kindergarten field trip to Karas Dental Clinic is scheduled for Feb. 12.
• “Muffins with Mom” will be held on Feb. 28 from 7:30-8 a.m. in the Elementary School gymnasium. There will be parking available by the gym entrance in the back of the building.
• An all-school field trip has been planned to the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Grades Kindergarten-to-Second will go Feb. 25 and Grades 3-5 on Feb. 26. Costs for the trips will be paid by Kwik Trip Milk Moola and General Mills box top donations.
• There will be 4-K play dates held on Feb. 28, March 21, and April 25 from 9-10 a.m. at the Elementary School. The events are for children in the Hillsboro School District who were born between Sept. 1, 2010 and Aug. 31, 2011. Interested parents are asked to contact Marie Kraska at the school to register.
High School Principal Greg Zimmerman reported to the Board:
• The Geography Bee winner was Courtney Fanta and the runner-up was Lilly Voltz.
• Ella Monahan and Courtney Fanta were Co-Champions of the Spelling Bee and will compete at the CESA 4 competition on Feb. 11.
• A Blood Drive will be sponsored by the Student Council on Feb. 12.
• Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Monday Feb. 17, (4-7:30 p.m.) and Wednesday, Feb. 19 (4 to 6:30 p.m.)
• FFA Week will be celebrated February 17-23.
• Wisconsin State Journal Sports Writer Andy Baggot will be visiting HHS and speak with students on writing during the week of Feb. 24.
• Winter sports season is nearing its end. Max Sebranek was a champion last weekend at the conference wrestling match. Hillsboro will host the WIAA Wrestling Regional this Saturday. The WIAA post-season for boys basketball begins on Feb. 25 and for girls’ basketball March 4.
The next School Board meeting is scheduled for March 10 at 7 p.m. in the high school library.