By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
What photo IDs are acceptable?
Placeholder Image

Photo ID is in effect starting with the Feb. 16 spring primary, according to Vernon County Clerk Ron Hoff.

Following is a list of all acceptable photo ID’s for voting in Wisconsin. Also, there is a list of photo ID’s that are not acceptable.

The last portion of this article also explains the electors that do not need to provide photo ID.

Do I need a special voter ID card?

There is not a separate “Voter ID” card. There are many forms of photo ID, which you may already have, that can be used to vote.

Anyone with a valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin state ID card, or any of the documents listed below, already has the photo ID they need for voting purposes.

What can I use as photo ID?

The following photo IDs are acceptable for voting purposes, and can be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election (currently, the Nov. 4, 2014 election):

• A Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT)-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended

•  A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card

• Military ID card issued by the U.S. uniformed services

• A U.S. passport book or card

The following photo IDs are also acceptable for voting purposes:

•  A certificate of naturalization (that was issued not earlier than two years before the date of the election)

•  An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin

• A driver license receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days from date issued)

•  An identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days from date issued)

•  A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college, or technical college that contains the following:

– Date the card was issued

– Signature of student

– Expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance

–The university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment, such as a tuition fee receipt, enrollment verification letter, or class schedule

What will the poll worker look at on my photo ID?

• Elector’s photograph: The photograph must reasonably resemble the elector.

•  Elector’s name: The elector’s name must conform to the name on their voter registration; conform does not mean that the name must be identical to the name on the voter registration

•  An expiration: If the ID has an expiration date, it must meet the expiration requirements listed above.

An acceptable photo ID for voting does not have to include a current address.

Are there photo IDs I cannot use to vote?

The following photo IDs are not acceptable for voting purposes:

•  A Military Veteran Affairs ID

•  A State or Federal government employee ID

• An out-of-state driver license or identification card

• Employment IDs

• A membership or organization ID

• A Certificate of Citizenship

Are there photo IDs that can be used for voting that do not have a photo?

Yes. The following documents, which do not contain a photo, can be used for voting purposes:

•  A citation or notice of intent to revoke or suspend a driver license, which is dated within 60 days of the date of the election. If your driver license has been taken away by law enforcement or a court, you may present written documentation of that fact in order to vote without your photo ID

• A State of Wisconsin, DOT issued, identification card without a photo, issued to those electors with a religious objection to being photographed

Is there anyone who does not need to provide photo ID?

Yes. The following electors do not need to provide a photo ID:

•  Confidential electors are always exempt from photo ID requirements. Confidential electors have applied for this status with their municipal clerk, and have presented a court order, a letter from law enforcement, a letter from the staff of a domestic abuse shelter, or the staff of an agency assisting victims of domestic abuse

•  Active military and permanent overseas voters are not required to provide a photo ID when they vote by absentee ballot, but if they vote in-person, they must present photo ID

• Indefinitely confined voters and voters in special care facilities can provide a witness signature on their absentee ballot certificate envelope in substitute for showing photo ID; if they vote in person, they must present a photo ID.

–The preceding information was provided by the state Government Accountability Board.