The 61st annual Hillsboro Firemen’s Labor Day Celebration is history and, apparently, Mother Nature realized the importance of such an historic occasion.
After days of worrisome weather forecasts, the fair went off without a hitch, and managed to get it all in, although the weather reports may have taken a bit of a shot at total attendance.
Madison Mitchell was crowned 2014 Labor Day Queen at the traditional pageant, with Cheyenne Hanke chosen as First Attendant and Alexis Seeley as Second Attendant.
The judges were Nichole Doyle of Lone Rock, Liz Olson of Holmen, and Kim Slama of Hillsboro.
Of course, the Queen and both of her attendants will appear all over the region in neighboring parades, representing the
Hillsboro Fire Department for a full year.
Pageant emcee Tom Hotek also announced the top parade floats as judged by Nicole Morris, Meg Miller, and Francine Abbot.
• Commercial: 1. Hofmeister Insurance, 2, Beezers Bar and Grill
• Visiting Queens: 1. Viroqua Wild West Royalty, 2. Cashton Fall Fest Royalty
• Religious: 1. St. Paul’s Hillsboro, 2. St. Paul’s, Wonewoc
• Youth Club: Hillsboro Scout Troop 83
• Organizations and Clubs: 1. Hillsboro Lions Club, 2. HOPE
• Queen Candidates Float: 1. Alexis Seeley, 2. Cheyenne Hanke
• Antique Cars: 1. Skyler Fisher, 2. Tony Roberts
• Antique Tractors: 1. Clark Farms, 2. Don Santas
The Grand Float as decided by the judges was Hofmeister Insurance.
A highlight of the celebration was the Ring of Fire Car Show, organized by the Roosters Car Club.
An added attraction to this event was the Miss Firecracker Vintage Pinup Contest, which included models dressed in special clothing from the eras of the cars on display.
Add to all that, a number of competitions featuring tractors of all sizes.
Fans enjoyed a full tractor pull, a pedal tractor pull, and lawn mower racing …Something for tractor lovers of all ages.
Other highly popular attractions included bingo thrills, barbecued chicken dinners, great live dancing music, and something called “carnival rides.”
How long before the next Firemen’s Labor Day Celebration?