Belmont, Darlington and Shullsburg firefighters fought a barn fire on Madden Road in the Town of Elk Grove Nov. 7.
When firefighters arrived on the scene at approximately 11 p.m., the building was completely engulfed in flames. A propane tank adjacent to the building also caught fire, making the blaze difficult to control.
Firefighters tried to keep the blaze from reaching a second propane tank near the structure. The barn, owned by Jacob Lapp, was believed to house guinea pigs.
The Belmont Fire Department left a smoldering pile to burn out at the scene, but a passerby reported the smoke and the firefighters returned around 5 a.m. to wet it down again.