GAYS MILLS - The Gays Mills Village Board meeting followed an hour-long closed session to review and make recommendations on FEMA-funded buyouts.
In open session, village trustee Kim Pettit made a motion to approve HMGP-16, HMGP-17, and HMGP-18 to be submitted on the disaster mitigation buyout application. The motion was seconded by Zegiel and passed by the board.
The board is looking into other funding for THE community, according to the village.
The three commercial properties included in the motion were identified by a file number, but not by name. This confidentiality, once the properties are identified, is new to the process.
Beyond the buyout recommendations, there was a lot of business as usual that included dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s for the Gays Mills Village Board at their regularly scheduled meeting on Monday night.
One agenda item that caught the attention of the board was A report by Barb Ashe on behalf of the Ridge and Valley Beekeepers, who are donating a sign to the village.
The beekeeper group decided to donate a sign indicating the location of the Gays Mills Community Commerce Center at 16381 State Highway 131. While there are signs for the public library and village hall, there is no sign for the building, which contains them. The Gays Mills Community Commerce Center also contains the Kickapoo Culinary Center, the community hall and the boardroom.
Barb Ashe described the four-foot by six-foot sign and four smaller signs that would hang from it. She also asked questions about what the village wanted on the sign. Additionally she questioned the board about where the sign would be located.
The Ridge and Valley Beekeepers decided to donate the sign because it was needed and to show their gratitude to the village for providing them with a meeting space.
In other business, the Gays Mills Village Board:
• approved a resolution authorizing and ratifying the conveyance of real estate in North Mills of First & Second Addition to North Mills for the purpose of flood recovery for $1 per lot plus hookup fees
• approved a resolution authorizing and ratifying the conveyance of real estate in North Mills or First & Second Addition to North Mills for $1,000 per lot plus hookup fees
• approved an ordinance to repeal and create Chapter 4 of Title 10 of the Municipal Code Relating to ATV/UTV Routes (allowing use of state highways within the village boundaries with speed limits 35 mph or below)
• approved the ambulance agreement with Ocooch Mountain Rescue including a $3,500 donation
• agreed to hire ASAP to do necessary maintenance on the Community Commerce Center HVAC system at a cost estimated between $10,000 to $15,000
• decided not to reimburse residents for running water to avoid freeze-ups because it was not a recommendation of the village at this point
• approved a Class B alcohol sales license for the McCormick Rose Legion Post for July 5 and 6 at 388 Railroad Street
• approved operator’s licenses for Burr Fontaine and Rita Hines
• rescheduled the village board personnel committee for Monday, Feb 11
• rescheduled the board’s public property committee (swimming pool) meeting for Friday, March 1 at 6:30 p.m. to coincide with the Gays Mills Community Dinner that's runs from 5 to 7 p.m. on Friday, March 1