By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
January 23: Years Ago…
Years Ago

‘Years Ago’ is a compilation of newsy tidbits as published in the Crawford County Independent & Kickapoo Scout on this week ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or sixty years ago.


JANUARY 21, 2010 – Winners at North Crawford’s spelling bee included sixth grader Riana Gravatt, seventh grader, Esther Buechele and eighth grader Lysianne Peacock… Riders from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota gathered at the Cowboy Arena in Seneca to ring in the New Year with a bit of bull riding… A proud Hillary Hartley was named the 2010 Wisconsin Holstein Princess at the Wisconsin Junior Holstein Convention held in Wisconsin Dells in early January. Hillary is the daughter of Dean and Donna Hartley of rural Soldiers Grove and a 2009 graduate of North Crawford High School.


JANUARY 20, 2000 – Terry O’Donnell of rural Gays Mills has started a new business – Rolling Ground Fuel Company. He is now delivering Amoco fuel products in Crawford County and surrounding area… Grant County Sheriff’s investigator Jim Kopp has recommended that two Supermax prison inmates be charged in separate December attacks on correctional officers at the $47 million Boscobel facility. According to the report, one inmate head-butted a guard while fully shackled and being moved from his cell. In the second incident, an inmate wrestled with a guard while being moved and a second guard stepped in to lend assistance.


JANUARY 25, 1990 – The Gays Mills Village Board heard a plan by the Future Farmers of America to renovate the power house at the Kickapoo River dam in Gays Mills. Paul Bolstad, head of the community services committee of the FFA and a student at the North Crawford High School, outlined an agenda to turn the structure into a museum. Under the FFA plan, the windows, roof and floor will be repaired and exhibits of various industries of the Kickapoo Valley will be erected. In addition to this work, the area of the park surrounding the building will be improved with an eye to holding various events such as concerts, machinery shows, etc. as tourist attractions.


JANUARY 24, 1980 – Charlie Horner, with permission from Dick Bell, is pictured throwing a rock through the old window of the Dobson building in Gays Mills. Bell is replacing the window with new double-glazed windows… Three generations of Runices had their hair cut last week by Rising Sun barber Bernie Hanson. Gerald Runice of Retreat, his son John and grandson Adam of Westby always have their hair cut by the veteran barber. Hanson has been barbering for 50 years, with Byron Lawrence in Ferryville from 1929 to 1935 and since then in his present shop in Rising Sun.


JANUARY 21, 1970 – Sewing lingerie at home has become very popular in a short time and because of the number of requests a class is being held at the Old Rock School art and crafts center. The reason for the growing interest in sewing lingerie at home is the result of modern woman’s desire to look more feminine, to express themselves through creativity and to get the most for their money. Mrs. Mildred Christensen, home economics agent, will be teaching the group.


JANUARY 21, 1960 – The start of the new year found the feed mill and retail hardware business of Robert Johnson, Seneca, being moved into new quarters. Designed by Architect Donn Hougen, Wisconsin Rapids, who specializes in feed mill construction, the 60 by 85 foot building has a cement block front section housing the hardware equipment. The mill and warehouse section are frame and metal-clad.