ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO (1920)—John W. Blessing plans on erecting a modern theatre building in Fennimore. Blessing has purchased the old Fennimore House property on Lincoln Avenue and the theatre will be located on the north side, adjacent to the Niehaus building. The new play house will be fully equipped with a large stage, dressing rooms, and have a seating capacity of 650. The new structure will be 36x109 feet, with gallery.
NINETY YEARS AGO (1930)—The snow brought a lot of bobsleds to town and we noticed a whole lot of good looking teams, but Elmer Cottingham needs to take the back seat for none of them with those stylish well kept and groomed and powerful dark bays of his.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO (1940)—Elden Adams and Don Pettera announce the opening of the P. & A. Recreation Parlor in the old Times building on Feb. 8. They have leased the building and will have pool tables in connection besides serving ice cream, soft drinks, candy, and cigarettes.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO (1950)—Business was strictly rushing at the city hall recently when the state board of health mobile x-ray equipment was made available to all adults in this community free of charge. 410 citizens took advantage of the service. The medical staff found it necessary to work beyond the 11 o’clock closing time because a number were still in line at that point.
SIXTY YEARS AGO (1960)—Lloyd J. Berken, state commander of the American Legion, Department of Wisconsin, will be guest speaker Feb. 25 at a meeting of Whitish-Funk Legion Post.
FIFTY YEARS AGO (1970)—Carol Christiansen took over the position of head librarian at the Parker Public Library Jan. 15. —Harry Stenner purchased the Fenway Block in Fennimore from Mr. and Mrs. Roger Ketterer. Steve “Tino” Novinska will manage the Lincoln Avenue property. Included in the Fenway Block, built by the late D. T. Parker about 50 years ago, are the hotel, Welsh’s Men’s Wear, the theatre, the Fenway Cafe, and the beer tavern in the basement known as “The Cellar.”
FORTY YEARS AGO (1980)—The Wisconsin DNR has informed the city of Fennimore that it proposes to provide financial assistance in the development of Arbor Vitae Park. The park will contain a combination shelter/restroom, skateboard track and sled run, obstacle course, playground, drinking fountains, picnic equipment, and landscaping.
THIRTY YEARS AGO (1990)—Melissa Nelson has been named the valedictorian and Kathleen Foley salutatorian of the FHS Class of 1990.
TWENTY YEARS AGO (2000)—The Fennimore School Board accepted the resignation of high school principal Connie Schiestl effective June 30. —The Fennimore city council approved the hiring of Gregory Lee as the city’s new Director of Public Works.
TEN YEARS AGO (2010)—Fennimore Times editor Correne Morgan and Ad Salesman Brian Muldoon earned honors at the Wisconsin Newspaper Association’s Better Newspaper Contest banquet Feb. 12. Morgan received first place honors for both breaking news coverage and reporting on local education. Muldoon won first place for best use of local photography in an ad and an honorable mention for the Tri-County Press’ “How To Guide.”