By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Echos of the Past for Jan. 30
ONE HUNDRED TEN YEARS AGO (1910)—Only about 60 stockholders attended the annual meeting of the Fennimore Mutual Telephone Co. held Thursday afternoon. Total membership is 333, an increase of 10 over last year. It was voted that a business man could have but one phone at his residence connecting with his office on one share, all on the same wire running to the central.
    ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO (1920)—The common council voted to drill an additional well near the sight of the present station and to equip same with an air lift pumping equipment and authorized Mead & Seastone of Madison to draw up the necessary specifications.
    NINETY YEARS AGO (1930)—Miss Ava Monson of Argyle is the new teachers’ training instructor at the high school, taking the place of Miss Emily Budd who has resigned. —Joe’s Diner, in keeping up with the Times, has recently installed in their kitchen a fine new Kelvinator iceless refrigerator in the new hotel size. It was put in by McKichan Hardware Co. —Lomas, Tuckwood & Eisele have improved their store by building a nice elevated office for their bookkeeping department and have installed a cash carrier system.
    EIGHTY YEARS AGO (1940)—The band mothers are making intensive efforts to outfit the band members with new uniforms before the district music contest in the spring. Our band under Mr. Bogart’s direction is outstanding in musical rendition, but has been greatly handicapped by its make-shift uniforms.
    SEVENTY YEARS AGO (1950)—After 10 years in business together in the Central Food Store, Gilbert Gorgen and Manuel Anderson have severed their partnership effective Jan. 31. Mr. Anderson has bought out Mr. Gorgen’s interest in the store and will continue the firm under the same name. Anderson & Gorgen were in business in the building now occupied by the Fenway Dress Shop and Dr. J. F. Heberlein after buying out Frank Heberlein’s meat market, and later moved to the present location.
    SIXTY YEARS AGO (1960)—The Southwest Wisconsin Library Processing Center, located in the basement of the Parker Public Library in Fennimore, is one year old this week. A cooperative project involving 21 public libraries and the Wisconsin Free Library Commission, it provides centralized ordering, cataloging and processing service for member libraries. The center is financed during its initial two years by a demonstration grant from Library Services Act funds and a token service charge paid by member libraries.
     FIFTY YEARS AGO (1970)—Another postal service, the stamp vending machine, has come to patrons of the Fennimore Post Office. The machine dispenses five and six cent stamps. —Vincent J. Philipps has sold the Bloomington Produce Co. to Dick Nelson, former sales manger, and Paul Krogram.
    FORTY YEARS AGO (1980)—The ice skating rink at the corner of Park Road and 12th Street on Fennimore’s east side is again operational, having been smoothed out with a fresh coating of ice. —Big plans and revised membership structure have been announced by the new owners of the Hickory Grove Community Golf Course, Tino Novinska and John Wells. Along with the usual women’s and men’s nights, they hope to add a couple’s league on Fridays.
     THIRTY YEARS AGO (1990)—Junior and Cathy Gabel took over Soup rrr Subs from Jerry Day and Frankie Hugill Dec. 24, 1989. Cathy is the manager of the restaurant and Junior pitches in when he’s not working at Milk Specialties in Boscobel. — Fennimore Lumber will continue business as usual under new owners Bill and Brenda Wood. —One of the oldest names in the Fennimore community is fading into the past, though the business itself will survive. Fennimore Roller Mills was built in 1888 by the Hinn brothers. Dick Nelson purchased the business in 1977. As of Feb. 1, the business has been purchased by the Fennimore Co-op.
    TWENTY YEARS AGO (2000)—Seventh grade students in the Fennimore School District will become permanent residents of the high school next year under a plan forwarded by the school board last week. The seventh graders, which currently spend part of the morning at the high school but then go to the elementary school, will study exclusively at the high school next year. The move was part of a restructuring plan by the board which will eliminate four full-time classroom instructors and part of music, phy ed, and library positions. In addition, high school teacher overloads will be reduced and extended contracts will be reduced.
    TEN YEARS AGO (2010)—Fennimore Lumber Co., owned by Bill and Brenda Wood, celebrated 20 years in business.