By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Echos of the past for September 26
Old Fennimore Main Street
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO (1919)—The new pastor of the Lutheran Church, Rev. R. F. Schedtler, is expected here this week. He will preach his first sermon on Sept. 28 in English. —Joe T. Harrington has purchased the old lower hotel building and expects to dismantle same at once, using the lumber to erect a house and barn on his farm.
    NINETY YEARS AGO (1929)—At the annual election of officers of the Geo. D. Whitish Post No. 184, the following officers were elected: Geo. F. Frantz, commander; Harvey DiVall and Harry Napp, vice commanders; Leo Brechler, adjutant; Harold Hazen, sergeant at arms; Melvin Cooper, chaplain; and Clayton Lewis, finance officer. —Joe Harrington has purchased the other narrow gauge car, used by Mr. Bohl, and is now fixing it up for a dining room to be placed just back of the present one. It will contain only tables. Here he will  serve the public in general or it can be chartered for dinner parties or banquets.
    EIGHTY YEARS AGO (1939)—There were 160 4-H members and Future Farmers from the Fennimore area who made 300 entries in the fifth annual junior fair at the high school last Saturday —Pilot Carl Swanson, whose plane our readers have no doubt all noticed soaring over town the past few days, has come to Fennimore with the intention of establishing an airport here on a permanent basis. The airport, at least for the present, will be located just north of the city limits on the state bank property along Highway 61. Mr. Swanson hopes to have a hangar brought here at an early date. —The Fennimore Woman’s Club will celebrate its silver jubilee at its meeting on Sept. 26.
    SEVENTY YEARS AGO (1949)—Four times overseas during his 24 years of active military service, Master Sergeant Darrell Montieth of Fennimore, serving in the Reclamation Section of Erding Air Base, is among the oldest airmen in point of service, at this base. Erding Air Base, formerly a Luftwaffe stronghold, is the supply and maintenance center for the U. S. Air Forces in Europe.
    SIXTY YEARS AGO (1959)—All is in the readiness for the annual Fennimore Junior Fair at the high school on Saturday, Sept. 26. This will be the silver anniversary of the fair. —Anthony Foyt and George Nowak, both of the Castle Rock Ridge vicinity, have taken over operation of the D-X Service Station on north Lincoln Avenue in Fennimore. —Contracts totalling $284,394.73 for the construction of the addition on the Fennimore High School and other improvement were signed last week by the school board and contractors. Work is expected to begin this week on excavating for the classroom addition on the east side of the gym.
     FIFTY YEARS AGO (1969)—Fennimore High School Principal Gary Banker has been named Fennimore area agent for the Southwest Wisconsin Vocational-Technical School. He will be responsible for coordinating the adult evening program and assisting with the adult high school completion and the adult basic education program.
    FORTY YEARS AGO (1979)—Sarah Novinska, Fennimore High School senior, left Sept. 19 enroute to Costa Rica. She will be enrolled as an exchange student for three months. —Seventh grade students of the Fennimore Community Schools spent Sept. 12-14 at Wyalusing State Park as active participants in outdoor education. —The students in the building trades classes at Southwest Tech are well known for the skill and care they use in constructing their projects. However, this is just going a wee bit too far. In order to test the strength of a storage building on campus, the students borrowed the city’s trash compactor and were caught driving it across the roof! Aren’t modern building techniques wonderful?
     THIRTY YEARS AGO (1989)—Notice an odd duck among the Fennimore Community School District bus fleet? The district recently purchased a Blue Bird bus, distinguishable from the rest of the fleet by its flat front end.
    TWENTY YEARS AGO (1999)—The 1999 Fennimore Homecoming court includes Tiffany Doan, Tyler Tollefson, Holly Kirschbaum, Brent Nelson, Beth Laugesen, Kris Loy, Kelley Reynolds, Heather Lund, Rich Lofthouse, and Sarah Leute.
    TEN YEARS AGO (2009)—Two new teachers have been added to the Fennimore Elementary School staff. Josh McLimans will be teaching second grade. Kim Ammon is a new early childhood teacher. —Southwest Tech bricklaying and masonry students built a new brick walkway for the Fennimore Railroad Museum.