By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Echos of the past week of July 25
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO (1919)—Fred Lomas sold a half interest in his barber shop last week to Raymond Faith and it is now Lomas & Faith. Raymond has been at the trade for many years and is a deserving young barber. —Farmers are complaining that the wheat has been suffering from what appears to be blight to a considerable extent the past few weeks and the heads are not filling out properly.
    NINETY YEARS AGO (1929)—The Southwestern Wisconsin Chiropractors Association held their monthly meeting here Sunday at Fenway Tavern and enjoyed dinner at Anderson’s Cafe. In the afternoon, they drove to Castle Rock, past the big spring and then held a business meeting at the reception room of the Dwight T. Parker Public Library. Dr. Wohlschlager of La Crosse gave excellent talks at the meeting. There were 25 chiropractors and their families in attendance.
    EIGHTY YEARS AGO (1939)—Excellent rating in knowledge of Wisconsin traffic laws and safe driving practice was accorded several Fennimore students at the summer school session of the State Teachers College at Platteville. They were Thelma Dempsey, Fae Novinska, Flossie Feakes, and Marjorie Hazen. —Richard Munns of Fennimore has been selected as the Grant County 4-H poultry club member to receive a free trip to the International Poultry Congress at Cleveland.
    SEVENTY YEARS AGO (1949)—Sam Nelson was honored on his 89th birthday Sunday, July 16 when about 75 relatives gathered at his farm northeast of the city. All of his 12 children and most of his grandchildren were with him for the occasion. —The Public Service Commission held a public hearing at the request of the Fennimore Telephone Co., who had made an application for an increase in telephone rates.
    SIXTY YEARS AGO (1959)—The Bausch Bros. Lumber Yard, east of Fennimore on Hwy. 18, is housed in a new building. Recently, these enterprising merchants, who had been engaged in the roofing business for several years, expanded their firm to include lumber, paint, and other building and general construction supplies, on a retail as well as a service basis.
     FIFTY YEARS AGO (1969)—A grand opening is scheduled for Saturday, July 26 at the P. & B. Car Wash, 760 Jefferson Street. Paul Graham is the builder and owner of the two-bay facility, completely equipped with automatic washing mechanism for self-service. —Mac Kolar received his commission as a second lieutenant in the Marines. —Airman John D. Christopherson is taking his basic training in the Air Force at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. —First Lieutenant William Witzig is a member of the 483rd Tactical Airlift Wing that has earned the U. S. Air Force Outstanding Unit Award.
    FORTY YEARS AGO (1979)—Nearly 400 persons sweltered in the 80 degree heat and humidity in the high school gymnasium Monday night during the annual Fennimore School District meeting. When the discussion as gaveled to a close near 11:30 p.m., district electors had adopted a near $2 million budget and had authorized the purchase of land and construction of a $60,000 bus garage.
     THIRTY YEARS AGO (1989)—Fennimore is being put on the map at Ford Mustang shows around the country. John Stastny has been showing his restored 1973 Mustang Mach I at far-flung Mustang Club of America shows. Among the trophies won include traveling farthest to an Atlanta show, first place in class at a Pensacola, Fla., show, and first place in class at the Atlanta show.
    TWENTY YEARS AGO (1999)—The Fennimore Volunteer Fire Department held its annual steak feed fundraiser Saturday serving approximately 400 dinners despite temperatures hovering above 90 degrees. —When the Stitzer Go-Getters 4-H Club visits the Wisconsin State Fair this year, it will mark the 10th anniversary of the group singing at the event.
    TEN YEARS AGO (2009)—The Fennimore area’s second annual Town and Country Garden Tour will be Saturday, July 25. Featured gardens include the John and Mary Ellen Brown home at 13787 Blue School Road, Jim and Barbara Klokner residence at 14112 Blue School Road, the Phil and Diane Alm home at 1125 Grant Street, and Melba Gregory’s home at 1475 Grant Street.

130 -ish lines??