Once again I have heard from an old (and getting older all the time) high school pal who sent some self-evident truths that really need to be shared with our readers. They are all based on the importance of walking.
I do a lot of that, by the way, with the explanation that our dogs, Socks and Harley, need the exercise!
• Walking can add minutes to your life. This enables you, at 92 years old, to spend an additional five months in a nursing home at $7,000 per month!
• My grandpa started walking five miles a day when he was 60. Now he’s 97 years old and we don’t know where he is!
• I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me!
• I have to walk early in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing!
• I joined a health club last year, spent about 44 bucks. Haven’t lost a pound. Apparently, you have to go there!
• If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country!
• Every time I hear that dirty word “exercise,” I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
• We all get heavier as we get older because there is a lot more information in our heads. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
• I know I got a lot of exercise the last few years …just getting over the hill!
• Every time I start thinking too much about how I look, I just find a Happy Hour, and by the time I leave, I look just fine!
Rudolph, red nose and all, recently dropped off a message at the Sentry Enterprise office from the North Pole, where his boss was too busy getting the elves up to top speed to deliver it himself.
Basically, he just wanted to remind all the “part-time elves” in Hillsboro that he is expecting their usual help getting prepared for the big event, which is now less than two months away. It may seem like that’s enough time to prepare, but when you really consider all that is involved, there actually never seems to be enough time.
We all should be looking for announcements from the Lion Elves on the need for assistance at this extremely busy time of year.
The Lions Club, however, is, in fact, already preparing plans and asking local folks to begin thinking about items that eventually will fill all the currently Empty Stockings. Santa truly appreciates all the help he receives in Hillsboro every year, so keep your eyes peeled for more information about bringing Christmas cheer to everyone in this warm and generous community.