The Hillsboro School Board held its annual meeting Monday night and was able to pretty much hold the line on the 2013-2014 tax levy.
The equalization aid for that period is an estimated $3,237,539, a decrease of $125,085 from the previous year.
The actual 2013-2014 total tax levy, unanimously approved by those attending the meeting, is $2,059,317.
The estimated mill rate for 2013-2014 is $10.27/$1,000. The estimated 2013-2014 school tax will be $1,027 per $100,000 home.
The 2012-13 Hillsboro mill rate of $9.47/$1,000 was the lowest in the Scenic Bluffs Conference and below the state average of $10.21/$1,000.
School Board President Jenny Hynek was elected Chairman of the meeting and School Board Clerk Jan Levy was elected Clerk.
Hynek read the Auditor’s Report from Johnson Block and Company Inc. that, among other information, stated “The District’s fund balance is strong and the operating funds are adequate to meet the needs of the District.
“The District has complied with Wisconsin’s Revenue Cap regulations. As such, the District’s tax levy for 2012-2013 was within allowed limits,” the firm reported.
In addition, School Board Treasurer Carl Baller presented the Treasurer’s Report, Jan Levy presented the Clerk’s Report, and School Superintendent Curt Bisarek presented his report, which will be printed in its entirety in next week’s issue of the Sentry-Enterprise.
School District Business Manager Mindy Lankey then outlined the 2013-14 Hillsboro School District budget, followed by a hearing and the successful, unanimous adoption of the tax levy.
The salaries of School Board members were set at $2,100 per year for officers and $1,785 per year for directors on a unanimous vote of the meeting’s members.
Those in attendance then unanimously approved the following:
• Authorization of reimbursement of Board members’ expenses;
• Authorization of Board to provide meals to students;
• Authorization of sale of property belonging to and not needed by the district;
• Authorization of the Board to borrow money to operate the school;
• Authorization of the Board to provide free textbooks;
• Authorization of the Board to provide for the prosecution or defense of any action or proceeding is which the District is interested;
• Authorization for the Board to purchase vehicles or finance contracts for the use and service of transportation vehicles;
• Set the date for the 2014-2015 Annual Meeting as Sept. 22, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.