By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Necedah beats Seneca-Wauzeka-Steuben
In spring football
SWS loses to Necedah spring football
BLUE-GOLDS TACKLER Lucious Cooley (27) never gave up on the tackle and ran down the Cashton player inside the five -yard line to keep him from scoring in that play April 9 in Seneca. The Seneca-Wauzeka-Steuben football team has yet to win a game in this odd spring season, but their performance has improved every game. They played well with Necedah again last week, but came up on the wrong end in a 27-14 loss.

SENECA - WAUZEKA-STEUBEN - The Seneca-Wauzeka-Steuben football team lost a close game on the road to Necedah on Friday, April 16 by the score of 27-14.

The Blue-Golds had the first score and the last score of the game–it was the 27 points that Necedah scored between those scores that sealed their fate.

SWS drew first blood on 53-yard touchdown pass from Ethan Karnopp to Brennan Wallin. The Blue-Golds led 6-0 when the first quarter ended.

Necedah scored two touchdowns in the second quarter on a one-yard run by Dominic Bohn and a 66-yard run by Mehki Baradji. They converted on both extra points and Necedah led at halftime 14-6.

The third quarter was scoreless. Then in the fourth quarter, Necedah’s Landen Murphy scored on a one-yard run, but they failed on the two-point conversion/ and the score was 20-6.

Necedah then scored on a six-yard run by Caleb Heintz and with the extra point took a 27-6 lead.

The Blue-Golds responded with the final score of the game, when Jaden Starkey caught a 14-yard touchdown pass from Evan Payne. The two-point conversion was successful and the game ended 27-14.

The statistics, for the most part, told the same story as the score.

Necedah had 19 first downs to just nine first downs for SWS.

Necedah gained 307 yards rushing on 45 attempts, while SWS gained 123 yards on 34 attempts.

The Blue-Golds did gain 67 yards passing due to Karnopp’s 53-yard touchdown pass to Wallin. Quarterback Evan Payne was 1-8 passing-completing the 14-yard touchdown pass to Starkey for the final score of the game.

Each team lost one fumble and SWS quarterback Evan Payne threw one interception.

SWS was penalized five times for a total of 61 yards, while Necedah had six penalties for 35 yards.