By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tigers back on track with win
Boys snap two-game losing streak
Placeholder Image

HILLSBORO — Juniors Max Stockwell and Joey Helgerson combined to scored 34 points as Hillsboro snapped a mini two-game losing streak with a 63–38 non-conference victory over visiting North Crawford.

Stockwell scored 18 points and grabbed a game-high 14 points to the Tigers, who improved to 13–5.

Helgerson hit four 3-pointers in the win and finished with 16 points, three rebounds and three steals.

Hillsboro raced out to a 16–6 lead and never trailed. The Tigers outscored the Trojans (4–12) 13–4 in the second quarter and led by 19 at the half, 29–10.

Westby 69, Hillsboro 45 (NC)

Friday night Westby forced 18 Hillsboro turnovers, outscored the Tigers 20–9 in the second quarter and cruised to a 69–45 non-conference win.

Tanner Schmitt scored a game-high 24 points on 9 of 13 shooting, including 4 of 6 from downtown, to lead the Norsemen to the 24-point win.

Helgerson scored 11 points to lead Hillsboro in defeat.

Stockwell chipped in 10 points and three boards in the loss. Junior Hunter Stanek added seven points and five rebounds.

Bangor 54, Hillsboro 43

Last Thursday Hillsboro missed an opportunity to pull into a first-place tie in the Scenic Bluffs Conference, falling to visiting Bangor 54–43.

Reigning SBC Player of the Year posted 16 points and 16 rebounds to lead the first-place Cardinals (15–2, 10–0 SBC).

Meanwhile Hillsboro fell to 8–2 in the Scenic Bluffs and was pretty much eliminated from conference title contention.

The Tigers held a 20–16 halftime lead, but Bangor used a 22–7 third-quarter run to seize control of the game.

“Our guys played a solid first half, but were unable to sustain it in the third quarter,” said Hillsboro head coach Curt Hildreth. “We were beat up a bit on the boards, which was kind of the story of the game.”

Bangor outrebounded Hillsboro 43–29 in the game.

Hillsboro pulled within three midway through the fourth quarter, but Bangor made 6 of 8 from the free throw line in the final three minutes to close out the game.

“We cut the lead down to three with the ball and the momentum, but were unable to capitalize,” added Hildreth. “We definitely did some things well, but will have to clean some things up in the coming weeks.”

Helgerson scored 12 points to lead the Tigers in defeat, but he shot just 5 of 16 from the field.

Stockwell also struggled from the floor, shooting 1 of 6, but made 8 of 12 from the free throw line to finish with 10 points. He also grabbed seven rebounds.

The Tigers will next host Cashton (7–10, 4–6) Friday night.