By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man gets prison for break-in, chase
Jeffrey Campbell color
Jeffrey D. Campbell

The man who in April 2013 allegedly tried to break into a Platteville house, then escaped police before he was arrested in Iowa two weeks later, was sentenced to 1½ years in prison and 3½ years extended supervision.

Jeffrey D. Campbell, 34, Hazel Green, pleaded no contest in Grant County Circuit Court in Lancaster July 30 to felony charges burglary, hit and run involving injury, and fleeing or eluding an officer. A misdemeanor charge of theft of up to $2,500 was dismissed.

Grant County Circuit Judge Craig Day sentenced Campbell Sept. 5 to 18 months in state prison and 42 months extended supervision on the three charges, consecutive to a prison sentence he is serving on a 2011 Jefferson County burglary charge.

Campbell previously was fined $9,981.50 on the 11 traffic charges he faced after a police chase April 10. Campbell pleaded no contest in May 2013 to operating without a valid license causing injury, operating without a valid license causing property damage, failing to notify police of an accident, reckless driving endangering safety, unreasonable and imprudent speed, operating left of center, operating without a valid license, violating an accident report requirement, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, failure to stop at a stop sign, and improper parking on a roadway.

Police were called to a Reddy Drive residence April 10, 2013 around 8:40 a.m. on a report that someone had tried to enter a house. A police officer tried to talk to the owner of a parked car in the area, but the driver sped off, according to police.

The car then hit an occupied vehicle at the intersection of West Main Street and Elm Street, and the car continued west until it became inoperable at West Main Street and Washington Street, according to police.

After a report that Campbell was heading north on foot, police asked Westview Elementary School to lock down. The lockdown ended after a half-hour.

Campbell was on extended supervision after he pleaded guilty to a Jefferson County burglary charge in April 2011. He was sentenced in November 2011 to one year in prison and three years extended supervision, according to court records.

Campbell’s extended supervision was revoked and he was ordered to return to prison by Jefferson County Circuit Judge Jacqueline Erwin, according to court records.