NINETY YEARS AGO (1929)—Dr. Scholl, the foot expert, will be at the Harry C. Napp store on Nov. 6 and 7. —A baseball meeting was held. A board of directors was chosen being Leon Blanchard, president; Chris Fitzpatrick, secretary/treasurer; Willis Storrs, Will Cottingham, and Oscar Brandt to complete the board. Wm. G. Hudson was chosen manager, and Ralph Anderson assistant manager.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO (1939)—The word “finis” was written on the page of history concerning the stock of goods belonging to the F. N. Kern and Co. last week when W. J. Doeringsfeld sold the remaining stock in a lump to a city buyer. The two businesses, the D. & D. Grocery and the Brechler and Bacon ladies store, who share the front part of the store, have built up a nice thriving trade but have not decided if they care to expand at this time.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO (1949)—Several 4-H members from the Fennimore area received special honor awards at the Grant County achievement program held in Lancaster. Dean Ashmore, a graduating club member, received an outstanding achievement award signifying completion of 11 years of club work. Other Fennimore area members awarded special honors were: Darlene Draves, poultry project; Agnes Wehrle, Jersey dairy project; and Carrol Kreul and Robert Wepking, tractor maintenance.
SIXTY YEARS AGO (1959)—Harry Kreul was elected the 1960 president of the Fennimore Kiwanis Club. Will Cottingham is the new vice president-elect. Directors added to the board are Tom Ristow and Cliff Furrer. —Danny Mathews is home from Guam, where he has been stationed with the Navy for the past 18 months. He will be here several weeks before reporting back for duty in Hawaii.
FIFTY YEARS AGO (1969)—The Blue River Watershed Association and the U. S. Soil Conservation Service announced that “all systems are go” for a $3,000,000 watershed project at Castle Rock. Construction will begin in May of 1971 with completion of nine dams by October of 1974. The Castle Rock project will provide Grant County with its first large man-made lake, covering 308 acres with a maximum depth of 38 feet.
FORTY YEARS AGO (1979)—For the third straight year, Fennimore High School’s cross county contingent returned from Madison’s Yahara Hills with the class C WIAA cross country first place trophy.
THIRTY YEARS AGO (1989)—A Hardee’s restaurant is expected to open in Fennimore before Memorial Day next year. The restaurant will be built on an empty lot on the northeast corner of the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and 7th Street. —On Oct. 7, 1929, the Fennimore Agriculture Department (33 students), applied for a state Future Farmers of America charter, which was issued Oct. 29, 1929. During the 60 years since, the chapter has had 95 state FFA candidates, Wendell Knappmiller being the first in 1932, and 11 American Farmers. This year, Guerdon Gratz will receive the Legion of Merit Award at the National Convention in Kansas City. Carlton Austin will receive the honorary American FFA Degree.
TWENTY YEARS AGO (1999)—The Fennimore High School will present the musical comedy “The Pajama Game” Nov. 5 and 6. —For the eighth time in the history of the Fennimore High School girls’ cross country program, the Golden Eagles placed third at the WIAA state meet.
TEN YEARS AGO (2009)—Fennimore High School will present “The Apple Tree” Nov. 6-8. —Junior Kayla Sheckles emerged as the star of Fennimore’s cross country runners at the sectional race on Oct. 23 in Darlington. She has earned the right to advance to the state meet on Oct. 31 in Wisconsin Rapids.