In order to raise awareness for the North Crawford the recently enhanced physical education and nutrition programs, the school has decided to host ‘Spring It On!’ a community-wide event.
Wellness programing in the North Crawford School District was recently bolstered by the U.S. Department of Education’s Carol M. White Physical Education Promotion grant and a growing partnership with Vernon Memorial Healthcare.
This healthy lifestyle event will be held at North Crawford Schools from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, April 27. It is free of charge and the public is welcome.
“The goal of this event is to get the news out about regional resources and activities that promote healthy lifestyles to everyone in the Driftless Region of Southwest Wisconsin,” PEP Grant Coordinaotr Tarassa Lown explained.
Featured at ‘Spring It On!’ will be a variety of family-friendly activities running concurrently from 9 to 11 a.m. They include:
• 5K Family Fun Walk/Run on our newly cleared scenic trail, to include two start times, 9:15 a.m. and 10 a.m. Free t-shirts will be provided to the first 125 participants in each group.
• PEP Grant Exercise Equipment Showcase designed to provide an interactive experience with our new iDance, Polar Cardio GX system, and many other elements that make up the new face of North Crawford School District’s Physical Education program.
• PEP Grant Raised Bed Gardens Showcase a new elementary school project created to show younger students how much fun gardening can be and to promote the health benefits of consuming fresh fruit and vegetables.
• Free Health Checks provided by Vernon Memorial Healthcare to include: Body Composition Analysis, Blood Pressures, Shoe Checks, and confirming Healthy Backs.
• Healthy Lifestyles Fair including a host of representatives from local farmer’s markets, parks and recreation, outdoor motion activities and upcoming events.
In order to celebrate this occasion a light healthy lunch, prepared by Chef Monique Hooker, will be provided at 11:15 a.m. Honored guests for the event include Wisconsin State Senator Jennifer Shilling and Wisconsin State Representative Lee Nerison.
Vernon Memorial Healthcare is North Crawford’s PEP Grant Healthcare Partner and a vital sponsor of ‘Spring It On!’ Organic Valley, another sponsor of the event, will be providing the much of the food for the luncheon prepared by Chef Monique Hooker.
The 2012 Carol M. White PEP Grant was an honor awarded to just 56 schools nationwide. North Crawford’s staff is excited at the opportunity to demonstrate the impact this grant has had on furthering their goal to promote a community of wellness in the school district and in the communities it serves. ‘Spring It On!’ will bring together likeminded businesses, organizations and individuals that also have a commitment to community wellness.