By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cash bond set at $25,000 for Boscobel standoff
Hostage_1306 Elm Street
Law enforcement was at the scene at 1306 Elm St. after Bryant Matti of rural Eastman was arrested shortly after 4 p.m. Friday following a six-hour standoff with authorities. He had driven to Boscobel from La Crosse earlier in the day in the SUV seen at right, which was parked for hours during the standoff with the front passenger door open.

BOSCOBEL -The 32-year old La Crosse man charged in the Jan. 17 standoff and shooting on Elm Street had his preliminary hearing in Grant County Circuit Court Jan. 29, with cash bond set at $25,000.

Bryant Matti will be arraigned on Feb. 24. He is charged with four misdemeanors and four felonies, including burglary, false imprisonment, second degree reckless injury and felon is possession of a firearm, repeater.

Matti drove from La Crosse to Boscobel the morning of Jan. 17 with a 20-year-old La Crosse woman in what was initially a consensual arrangement but then turned into a hostage situation during a six-hour standoff at 1306 Elm St.

Police established a perimeter and neighbors were evacuated, according to a Boscobel police news release. A negotiations team called Matti, but “efforts to get Matti to surrender were met with negative results,” according to the news release.

When gunshots were heard inside, law enforcement entered the house. They discovered the woman with a gunshot wound to her lower right leg, according to the news release. She was taken by Boscobel EMS to Gundersen Boscobel Hospital, then transferred to Gundersen Hospital in La Crosse with non-life-threatening injuries.

McCullick said Bryant Mattie and the woman were “acquaintances” and that she initially went willingly with him, “but she figured out somewhere between Boscobel and La Crosse that he wouldn’t let her go.”

Matti was taken to Gundersen Boscobel Hospital for minor injuries before he was taken to the Grant County Jail.

“We’ve talked about these situations in the past,” McCullick said. “You hope you never need to use all these resources, but you’re glad you have them when you need them. The communication was unbelievable and the response was incredible. Obviously, you don’t want anyone to get hurt, but no one died. It was an acceptable outcome in that everyone went home safe.”