The AARP Tax-Aide Program will be available at First English Lutheran Church in Platteville Mondays starting Feb. 3, and at the Center on Aging in Lancaster Tuesdays starting Feb. 4.
The Tax-Aide Program is sponsored by the AARP Foundation and the Internal Revenue Service. It offers free tax help to Wisconsin residents of low-and moderate-income, especially those 60 and older.
Individuals with complex forms such as business, farmers, investors with limited partnerships, landlords with depreciation schedules, married couples filing separately, and those with health savings accounts do not qualify for Tax-Aide assistance and are urged to seek other professional tax preparation assistance.
Experienced tax counselors will be available for the 20th consecutive year in the Platteville community. All counselors have completed training and have passed a comprehensive test before receiving certification.
Tax sessions begin Feb. 3 and will run until early April in Platteville Mondays and in Lancaster Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Appointments are required and can be made by calling ADRC of Grant County, 723-6113 or 1-800-514-0066.
Taxpayers are asked not to call for an appointment until they have everything that is required in order to be assisted in their tax preparations. Also required to receive tax assistance is photo proof of identification and Social Security documentation for the filer and all dependents.
When coming in, tax filers should bring the following:
• Copy of last year’s income tax return(s).
• All W-2s, 1099s, and investment statements.
• SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits.
• A copy of property tax bills.
• Costs associated with health insurance and other health care needs.
• All 1099-Rs if a pension or annuity provided income.
• Summary of SSI income if claiming Homestead Credit.
• A completed, unaltered rent certificate if renting and filing for Homestead Credit.
Unless issues occur, it is anticipated that federal, state, and homestead tax forms would be e-filed the day of tax preparation.