NINETY YEARS AGO (1929)—The Farmers’ Mutual Cooperative Creamery have taken the words “mutual” and “cooperative” at their face value and given them a new meaning in this community. The institution is truly mutual and truly cooperative because they are now operating on a profit-sharing plan. They are giving their third annual dividend checks to each patron on Dec. 19. The year’s business has been very satisfactory and there is every indication that the checks when handed out will be as large as they were last season.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO (1939)—The city council set the tax rate for the city of Fennimore at $24 per thousand. This represents an increase of $2 per thousand from 1939. The budget for 1940 shows an approximate increase of $2,900 over 1939. The total budget for all purposes for the city is $37,275.82. —Talk about your California weather right here in Wisconsin this fall! Mrs. August Maso reports picking a nice bunch of pansies in her garden on Dec. 1 and the plants weren’t covered or protected. Not more than three weeks ago, we picked in our own yard several regular spring violets.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO (1949)—The city council passed a resolution authorizing a special referendum election on a $75,000 bond issue to aid in financing the proposed municipal building, and designated Wednesday, Dec. 28 as the date for the election. —Fifty years ago last week, just in time for the holidays, Albert Weber opened up his jewelry store in his new building in Fennimore. In honor of the occasion, his family, who now operates the store, held open house for their many friends and customers.
SIXTY YEARS AGO (1959)—J. N. “Nick” Kramer, Fennimore city attorney, who has been prominently identified with the work of the Wisconsin League of Municipalities for the past several years, was honored with two important posts in the organization. He was named as a trustee on the seven-man governing board of the League for a two-year term. This group formulates policy for the organization and acts in executive capacities. Nick was also reelected chairman of the Education Committee of the League, a post he has held for four consecutive terms.
FIFTY YEARS AGO (1969)—Mrs. Carol Christiansen has been hired by the Parker Public Library Board to replace Mrs. Irma Bailey, recently resigned, as librarian. She is currently attending Platteville State University and will begin her duties here at the end of the first semester. Meanwhile, Mrs. Leslie Miller and Mrs. Walter Ashmore are dividing the librarian duties.
FORTY YEARS AGO (1979)—Members present at the December meeting of the VFW voted unanimously to go on record favoring the movement to acquire the Rollo Jamison collection of historical Wisconsin artifacts for the city of Fennimore. The post voted to allow certain artifacts to be stored in the VFW building to provide protection from weathering, including old fashioned horse-drawn buggies, carriages, and the like.
THIRTY YEARS AGO (1989)—Internationally known distance runner Cindy Bremser spoke at a Fennimore High School cross country banquet at the Cottonwood Sunday night. Bremser was a member of the UW-Madison track team where she earned All-America Honors in the mile. She has competed all over the world as a member of 15 National Track and Field teams. She was a member of the 1984 U. S. Olympic team, competing in the 3000 meters.
TWENTY YEARS AGO (1999)—When the third and last of the Briehl boys, Steve, and his wife, Helen, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Saturday, Nov. 27, it was the third sibling to count 50 years of wedded bliss. Incidentally, they don’t call Steve’s wife “Saint Helen” for nothing. The two older brothers and their wives have previously reached that milestone. The oldest brother, John, and his wife, Ruth (Miles), Fennimore, on Sept. 18, 1998. The second oldest, Mark, and his wife, Dorothy (Davis), Matoon, Ill., on Jan. 10, 1996.
TEN YEARS AGO (2009)—The Fennimore school board approved a large monetary donation from Elizabeth Summers’ will. She bequeathed $500,000 from an “education fund” to the districts of Fennimore, Iowa-Grant, Boscobel, River Ridge, Beaver Dam, and Mount Horeb, as well as the Fennimore Community Scholarship Fund and the UW-Platteville Foundation.