By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Echos of the Past for March 5
Old Fennimore Main Street
ONE HUNDRED TEN YEARS AGO (1910)—The bowling alley has opened up again and is enjoying a fine patronage under the management of John W. Peacock who has purchased the alley and building of Worden Stephens.
    ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO (1920)—“Leader of Fashion,” Clarence Croft’s sensational Duroc boar that sold here for $4,000 to Ames Bros. of Weaver, Minn., was disposed of by the latter to the Underwood Stock Farm at Lake City, Minn., for $10,000. Of the hogs bought at Croft & Edge’s sale here, Ames Bros. realized a clear profit of $7,500 which shows the boys had a fine lot of gilts.
    NINETY YEARS AGO (1930)—A big crowd attended the free show put on by the Fennimore Farmers Warehouse Co. at the Fenway Theater on the feeding and raising of poultry. After the show a big sack of feed was given away to the person guessing the nearest weight, Bert Govier being the closest one with 377.5 pounds and the sack weighed 377 pounds. The Fennimore Lumber Co. had a big lump of coal in front of their office for the past several weeks and they gave a ton of coal to the person guessing its weight. E. A. Heberlein and John Yanna guessed the correct weight, 686 pounds, and on the draw off, Heberlein got the coal.
    EIGHTY YEARS AGO (1940)—P. S. Graham and son Chester shipped 20 head of fine steers to Chicago that weighed 28,700 pounds. One of the steers tipped the scales at 1,700 pounds.
    SEVENTY YEARS AGO (1950)—The Fennimore High School Band of 47 pieces, under the direction of James R. Jorgenson, played an exchange concert with the Prairie du Chien high school band, in a program held at the Preston annex of the Methodist Church. The concert was in three parts, including selections by the Prairie du Chien musicians, then numbers by the local band, followed by the grand finale consisting of the two units playing together.
    SIXTY YEARS AGO (1960)—Plans are underway for the Home Show, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, with the cooperation of local businesses. The show will be held March 24 and 25 in the Memorial Building.
     FIFTY YEARS AGO (1970)—The Fenway Theater will re-open on March 13, announced Steve “Tino” Novinska, manager of the Parker Block, owned by Harry Stenner of  Marion. Bob McDonald has leased the theater and hopes to have a spook show for Friday the 13th.
    FORTY YEARS AGO (1980)—Good Samaritan Center residents are gearing up for their annual Rock ‘n Roll Jamboree to raise money for the American Heart Association. Mima Braudt is the Heart Fund chairperson. March 22 has been set for a fun afternoon with rocking chair and wheelchair games, music and refreshments. The resident who raises the most money will win a rocking chair.
     THIRTY YEARS AGO (1990)—Fennimore eighth grader Jason Waterman won the district-wide spelling bee. The runner up in the contest was Rhonda Waterman, a sixth grader and, coincidentally, Jason’s sister. Jason and Rhonda will represent Fennimore in the South Sectional Spelling Bee in Cassville on March 8.
    TWENTY YEARS AGO (2000)—Seventh grader Jason Rutkowski and eighth grader Megan Kovars were the top two place winners in the school district’s spelling bee. They will participate in the Sectional spelling bee at Belmont on March 9.

    TEN YEARS AGO (2010)—The city council heard a proposal about a veterans memorial from Dagna Doan, a 51-year member of the Fennimore Women’s Auxiliary. Nearby communities have impressive war memorials and, in her opinion, the current memorial is in disrepair. The council gave Doan its blessing to continue forward with the project.