The Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will begin issuing new driver licenses (DL) and identification (ID) cards this fall.
These new cards will be the most secure in the United States. An innovative polycarbonate card and laser-engraved black and white photo are the most prominent features designed to curb fraud and identity theft.
“Advances in technology have enabled WisDOT to offer a new card for identification that makes it the most secure in North America,” said Ann Perry, director of the DMV Bureau of Driver Services.
In addition to the black and white laser-engraved photo, Wisconsin customers will note these added security features:
• The card feels slightly stiffer and makes a unique sound when dropped on a hard surface.
• A raised signature, date of birth (DOB), expiration date, DL/ID number, U21 (under 21) until date can easily be felt and hard to copy.
• UV ink highlights intricate Wisconsin artwork on front.
• U21 is prominently displayed in red ink and printed in a vertical format.
• Endorsements for commercial driving, including hazmat certification, are clearly noted.
There is no need for customers to visit a DMV before their card expires. Two other versions of Wisconsin driver licenses and ID cards are currently in circulation and valid until it’s time to renew. Some cards from the previous vendor are set to expire in 2020 and those issued between March 2012 and October 2015 are set to expire in 2023.
Implementation of the new cards will begin in late September with complete integration throughout Wisconsin expected to be completed by Nov. 1. The process for customers is the same. When their DL or ID expires, customers can visit a DMV Service Center (https://trust.dot.state.wi.us/cscfinder/cscsearch.do) and present necessary documents (https://app.wi.gov/DLGuides/). Customers will then receive a receipt which includes an image of the actual card and it is valid until they receive their new card in the mail. This receipt is a valid form of state-issued photo identification and is valid until 45 days after issuance.