Following a lengthy presentation from North Crawford Pep Grant Director Tarasa Lown and others on the proposed fitness center at the school and the August 12 referendum that would fund it if passed, the Soldiers Grove Village Board made rather quick work of a short agenda.
Village trustee Vicki Campbell informed the board about the financial condition of Soldiers Grove Community Development Corporation. During her report about the organization, Campbell noted there was nearly $80,000 in the bank accounts. She also pointed out that Driftless Brewing Company had made their first payment of $258 on the interest only on the loan they have for purchase of the former grocery store building in Solar Town.
The brewing company will continue to pay interest only in the initial years of the loan to help them establish their business.
Campbell also told the board that the CDC had given half of the room taxes collected between May 2013 and July 1, 2014 or $3,914 to the Driftless Area Art Festival, as previously agreed.
Campbell also suggested and the board approve using $2,000 from the CDC to pay for work by Charles Engel to redo the village website. She noted the work would primarily benefit tourism, the purpose of the room tax.
In answer to a question from village trustee Jim Helgerson, Campbell said all room tax payments had been made for 2013, but not all to date in 2014 had been paid.
Helgerson suggested and other trustees appeared to agree that in the future the annual licenses for lodging should not be approved if room tax payments are not up to date.
In other business, the Soldiers Grove Village Board:
• approved paying for the installation of an electronic scoreboard at the baseball field that North Crawford Athletic Director David Bergum obtained a donation from LaCrosse Logan High School;
• agreed to have workers from the Wisconsin Corps do work for free for the village including some outdoor painting;
• approved a building permit for a new addition to a cabin in the rural area at the edge of the village;
• approved a resolution allowing the clerk, deputy clerk and special registration deputies to perform election-day registrations;
• approved a picnic beer sales license for the American Legion for an upcoming baseball tournament.