A Lancaster family was able to escape from their home Thursday night during a fire, but are unable to return due to damage.
Lancaster Fire Chief Steve Braun released details about the fire, which Lancaster Fire and EMS rushed to at 11 p.m. May 5 for a fire in a kitchen at a residence at 148 W. Elm Street, one block east of the fire station. Upon arrival flames were visible on the second floor in a kitchen area, with moderate to heavy smoke emanating from all sides of the home and fire spreading down a hallway and into the attic. Crews were able to knock down the fire within a few minutes of arrival, and remained on scene for approximately 2.5 hours conducting overhaul.
Initial investigation indicates that the fire started in the kitchen area on a stove and was accidental in nature. Damages to the home will likely exceed $75,000. The family was assisted by the American Red Cross-Badger Chapter and the Salvation Army of Platteville. Fennimore Fire Department, Alliant Energy and Lancaster Police Department assisted on scene.
UPDATED May 10 - A recovery fund has been started for the Jones Family, who were displaced by the house fire. There are three adults and two children (ages 8 and 3) in the family and they lost most of their possessions and clothing from the smoke and heat damage. Monetary donations can be dropped off at Wisconsin Bank and Trust (305 S. Madison Street) for the Jones Family Fire Recovery Fund.