The Hillsboro School Board elected its officers at Monday night’s regular meeting.
Those selected were President Jenny Hynek, Vice President Brian Hora, Clerk Jan Levy, Treasurer Jenni Schrock.
Those appointed to committees were: Negotiations and Personnel, Chairwoman Jenny Hynek, Brian Hora, Jenni Schrock, Alternate Jan Levy; Buildings and Grounds, Chairman Mike Jirschele, Jason Oetzman, Denise Huntley, Alternate Jan Levy; Policy, Chairwoman Jenni Schrock, Mike Jirschele, Jan Levy, Alternate Denise Huntley; Budget, Chairman Brian Hora, Jan Levy, Jenny Hynek, Alternate Jason Oetzman.
Delegates selected were: Wisconsin Association of School Boards, Delegate Jenni Schrock, Alternate Jenny Hynek; Cooperative Educational Service Agencies, Delegate Brian Hora, Alternate Jason Oetzman; EIE Delegate Mike Jirschele, Alternate Jenni Schrock.
The Board designated the time and place for its meetings as the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in the library conference room.
Farmers State Bank was designated as the Official Depository institution/resolutions.
The Hillsboro Sentry Enterprise was designated the official newspaper.
The Board then accepted with many thanks the resignation of Monica Verbsky as school librarian. Also accepted with appreciation was the resignation of teacher Jake Richards.
In other business action, the Board:
• Approved the Elementary Summer School courses as presented by Principal Cara Wood.
• Approved renewal of WEA Trust Insurance Alternate 2 which has a 2.1% rate increase.
• Authorized a school-wide fund raiser to promote the Hillsboro Charity Tractor Pull. Proceeds will benefit the school.
• Approved the leasing of 175 Chromebooks for students in grades 4-12 next year.
• Approved bid from Wipfs Flooring for $18,802.14 which will cover the removal and installation of a carpet tile in the Library Block (conference room, computer room, lab, three smaller rooms and main area of the Middle School - High School.
• Hired middle school special education teacher John McMullen.
• Hired agriculture teacher/FFA Advisor Mollie Collins.
• Approved authorization to be a member of the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) for 2014-2015. The WIAA has waived membership dues for the next two years.
In Elementary School Principal Cara Wood’s report, she thanked the businesses and organizations that brought in food and treats for Teacher Appreciation Week.
• The fourth grade held its annual Heritage Fair. Kyra Bisarek and Tori Slama went on to Warrens to share their presentations with the Mississippi Gifted and Talented Network.
• The FFA presented its Food for America program for the Elementary students last Friday, and there were many different stations.
• The fourth graders attended Viroqua Farm Safety Day last week.
• Grade 3 had Mr. Nederlo visit last week and he brought along many of his friendly snakes and other creatures to greet the kids. Third graders will present their snake research projects May 15 from 8:30-10 a.m.
• The first annual Art Party was held May 13. Students went through several art stations and did a variety of projects, some of which were collaborative. The activity was sponsored by Tiger Pride.
• Four-K story hour will be held May 15 at 1 p.m.
The following field trips have been planned:
• May 14: Fifth-grade Safety Patrol, Wisconsin Dells and fourth grade bike trip
• May 20, 21: Mitchell Farms
• May 27: Third grade, Devil's Lake State Park and International Crane Foundation
• May 28: First grade, Circus World Museum; fifth grade, Wisconsin Dells
• May 29: Elementary Field Day
• June 1: Kindergarten, Rafel Horse Farm
• June 2: Second grade, Wisconsin Dells
There also will be walking field trips to City Hall on Prairie Ave., city parks, and the Hillsboro Public Library on High Ave.
High school principal report
High School Principal Greg Zimmerman reported on the recent ACT tests with class averages of 39 students - Composite 22.1.
He also reviewed upcoming special events for May and June:
• May 14: FFA Banquet, 7 p.m.
• May 15: Club Scrub (eighth grade) 9 a.m.-noon at Gundersen St. Joseph’s Hospital
• May 18: High School Fine Arts Night, 7:30 p.m.
• May 19: Scenic Bluffs Conference track meet at Bangor
• May 20: Senior Class Trip
• May 21: FBLA Banquet
• May 22: Class of 2015 commencement program
• May 26: Track regional at Onalaska Luther; softball regional
• May 27: Middle School Awards Night, 7:30 p.m.; softball regional
• May 28: Middle School Fine Arts Night, 7 p.m.
• May 29: Track sectional at Bangor; softball regional final
• May 30: Drivers Education First Day
• June 2: Semester exams; baseball regional, softball sectional at Brookwood
• June 3: Semester exams, last day of school, baseball regional
• June 4: Teacher in-service, softball sectional final at Riverdale
• June 5: Teacher in-service, baseball regional final: State Track at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
• June 8: Summer School classes begin
• June 10: Remediation class starts
The next regularly scheduled Hillsboro School Board meeting will be June 8 in the High School library conference room.