By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man arrested after barricading self in house
hostage situation
The Grant County Crisis Resolution Team entered the house at 175 N. Main St. Thursday at 2:45 p.m. Officers arrested Douglas Forbes Jr., 23, Platteville.

by Steve Prestegard

A 23-year-old Platteville man was arrested after a hostage situation in Platteville Thursday afternoon.

Douglas Forbes Jr. was taken into custody by Platteville police after the incident at 175 N. Water St.

A second man was taken into custody after the incident, but was released later after police determined he wasn’t involved in the incident.

Police received a report of a domestic violence incident at the address today around 9 a.m., in which the victim reported being kicked and strangled Thursday morning and on two previous occasions. The victim told police that Forbes had the victim’s 8-month-old son with him, and she was due to pick up the boy later today.

Police said in a news release there was “no indication at the time” that the boy was in immediate danger, but the victim called Forbes later to arrange for an earlier exchange time. Police said Forbes then threatened to harm himself and the boy if the victim didn’t meet or contact him.

Police, Grant County sheriff’s deputies and the Grant County Crisis Resolution Team secured the area around the house, and then made phone contact with a person in the house, but “didn’t receive much cooperation,” said Police Chief Doug McKinley.

At 2:45 p.m., police banged on the door, yelled “Sheriff’s Department! Come out with your hands up!”, then entered the house. McKinley said Forbes was “apparently hiding in some cabinets and did not come out until a very thorough search of the residence.”

About 10 minutes later, Forbes, followed by the other man, were taken out of the house by police.

McKinley said the two men were not armed, but “based on information from people inside the house it was believed there were weapons in the residence.”

Around 3:05 p.m., two young women, one holding a male child, left the house. They said nothing to reporters.

Platteville High School, Platteville Middle School and Neal Wilkins Early Learning Center were locked down around 1:30 p.m. until after 3 p.m. “as a contingency in case the suspect went mobile,” said McKinley.

Platteville firefighters blocked off traffic around Furnace Street and Water Street. Southwest Health EMS was called, but there were no injuries at the scene.

Charges had not been filed against Forbes as of Tuesday morning. Forbes faces unrelated charges in Lafayette County for receiving or concealing stolen property, felony possession with intent to sell marijuana, operating after revocation, and felony bail jumping. Arrest warrants were issued for Forbes Aug. 20 and Aug. 26, according to court records.

Forbes was placed on two years probation in Grant County Oct. 22 for misdemeanor possession of marijuana as a repeater. Charges of possession with intent to deliver marijuana and operating after revocation were dismissed, according to court records.

Forbes was placed on three years probation in Grant County in January 2012 after he pleaded guilty to three counts of manufacture or delivery of up to 200 grams of marijuana, a felony. Forbes’ probation was revoked in May 2014 and he was sentenced to 18 months in prison and 18 months extended supervision. The prison sentence was reduced by 486 days credit for time served.

Forbes was placed on four years probation in Iowa County in April 2011 after he pleaded no contest to charges of party to armed burglary with a dangerous weapon and party to criminal damage to property with a dangerous weapon. Charges of party to second-degree recklessly endangering safety, party to attempted kidnapping with a dangerous weapon, attempted armed robbery with a dangerous weapon, and party to intimidating a victim or threatening force with a dangerous weapon were dismissed. Forbes’ probation was revoked in June 2014 and he was sentenced to two years in prison and four years extended supervision.