DARLINGTON—The Railroad Depot Museum in Darlington will feature a new historical item.
The original bench from the depot was donated back to the Lafayette County Historical Society (LCHS) and is located outside the main entrance of the depot. The oak and wrought iron bench made its way to Platteville, and later Lancaster, where it sat on the porch of Jon and Rita Angeli, who purchased the bench at an auction. LCHS members George Hirsbrunner and Spencer Benedict recently picked up the bench and returned it to its original location in Darlington.
The railroad came to Darlington in 1856 and the depot was built between 1889-1895. The last train came through Darlington in 1984, although the passenger service stopped in the 1940s.
An open house will be held at the depot museum on Saturday, July 7, from 2-4 p.m. The Stump Fiddle Band will entertain from 2-3 p.m. Pie and ice cream will be served.
The depot museum is located on South Washington Street in Darlington. The museum features model trains, railroad memorabilia, Florence Bennett depot paintings and numerous displays.
The museum holds regular hours Fridays and Saturdays from 1-4 p.m. For more information, call 776-8340.