By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Concert victim probably injured in fight
at Rock on the River
Placeholder Image

Crawford County Sheriff Dale McCullick confirmed on Tuesday that a 28-year-old Dubuque man who suffered serious head injuries at the Rock on the River concert in Bridgeport Township earlier this month appears to have been struck during a fight with others at the campground.

On Saturday, July 13, at approximately 10:45 p.m.  members of the Crawford County Sheriff Department working at Rock on the River were notified of an unconscious male subject near the bathrooms in the campground area of the festival grounds.   

Crawford County Sheriff’s Department Deputies and emergency medical staff working on the festival grounds responded and found, 28-year-old Joshua Milligan lying face down, unconscious in the gravel with apparent head wounds.   Milligan was taken to Prairie du Chien Hospital and later transported by MedFlight to Gundersen Lutheran Hospital in LaCrosse. 

Through interviews, deputies received information that Milligan was likely struck in the head during an altercation. Deputies working in pairs interviewed everyone at the campground along with every occupant of all vehicles leaving the grounds the next morning.

“The investigation has led us to two persons of interest,” stated Crawford County Sheriff Dale McCullick. “The people we are looking at are acquaintances of the victim and are also from Dubuque, Iowa.” 

After we learned that the persons of interest resided in the state of Iowa, Crawford County Sheriff’s Department investigators contacted the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation and began a joint investigation. Search warrants in both Iowa and Wisconsin have been conducted. 

“This is an ongoing investigation and once completed, all information and evidence gathered will be turned over to the Crawford County District Attorney’s office for charges,” McCullick said.

Milligan’s condition has improved, but he remains in critical condition at Gundersen Lutheran Hospital in LaCrosse, according to McCullick.